Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Just say no to Trainers-Bike trainers that is!

Oh man I can't tell you how happy I was to ride outside on Sunday! I'm ready to ditch my trainer! Riding inside for 2 months 3 days a week is enough! Sunday, we had our first Ironteam outside ride! We met in Prospect at our coach's house so we could organize everything and talk about the course. Each Sunday we'll be riding part of the Ironman course, until eventually as our time increases we ride the entire thing :) This smiley face may not be smiling come the middle of July haha, but for now it's awesome. We rode 35 miles a loop starting out on 42 to 393 to 53 and back to 42. The first 20 miles were awesome. I was really happy with my cadence, and my speed was great at times, but part of this was due to an amazing tail wind. I was able to keep up with the guys in the pack, which I can't always do, but I try my hardest. I think I surprise people at times when I'm able to.

When I rode my first century ride a couple years ago. Around mile 30 or 40, my friend Beth and I were riding with two guys. There were 3 distances to choose from, 35 miles, 65 miles or 100 miles. I asked one of the guys which distance he was doing hoping to find a few others doing the Century. He said the 100 and then asked me. When I replied, "100," he said in a surprised tone, "are you really." Well, if I hadn't decided to before that moment, I decided then. :) We rode together the rest of the day, and I even led some. 

Anyway, back to our ride. The last 8 miles were hard. We were riding into a headwind. At times the wind would blow so hard I thought it was going to blow me off the road. That's always fun when you're on a two lane road and the wind is blowing you back and forth, you just hope that it blows you to the right and not to the left into traffic. I knew I was getting close to turning back into Dee's subdivision, but I had one more hill to climb. It was at the top that I really realized just how much the wind was affecting me. As I crested what seemed like the longest, tallest hill imaginable at that point (it wasn't that bad, I was just exhausted), I felt relief as I saw that I'd be going down finally. I prepped myself to race down the last hill. My fastest decent that day was 39.4mph, and most of the downs were at least 25+mph. I started the decent, but I didn't feel like I was going anywhere. The wind was blowing so hard that I was only travelling at 16mph, DOWNHILL!! On a flat I am usually around 18-23mph. I was ready to be off the bike at that point. Made it back to Dee's and then ran a mile to get my legs use to running on tired legs. I did 35 miles in 2:05. Very happy with the first outside ride!

My totals for this week of training were: Total: 8 hours and 33 min= 83 miles!
Run = 2 hours 22 min= 15 miles
Bike = 4 hours & 15min= 66 miles
Swim = 1 hour 53 min = 2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment